Thursday, January 6, 2011

To Bring Good Luck for the New Year



I'd hate to say we are superstitious but sometimes, hey, it doesn't hurt to load the dice.

So while Casey and I were gadding about DC on January first Geoff was home in the kitchen preparing his take on a traditional New Years dinner.

Last year I made what Southern Living magazine told me is the traditional dish to bring good luck for the upcoming year in the southern states: Hopping John. It did not get a full approval rating.

Geoff decided to try a deconstructed version

and here we have slow cooked pork, wild rice, collard greens, black eyed peas, peppers and onions and to accompany it, cornbread. This got a better reception than what I made last year.

Do you have any special traditions for the New Year?

1 comment:

  1. So, was that approval rating a result of the excellence of Geoff's culinary skills (is he surpassing his mother?), or is the idea of a "traditional" meal, even if a little less traditional, growing on the group?

    ReplyDelete

While I write this blog for my own fun, I would also love to know what you think about what I post.