Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Spring is in the air and in the garden

Yesterday afternoon we went for a walk along the riverside to enjoy the sight of the Virginia Bluebells which are in peak bloom right now. I posted photos from this same location in 2010 but I notice the peak bloom that year was April 10 so once again we see that spring is early this year.

The blooms are so dainty and the color is exquisite.

Here we can see more wildflowers. I'd have to check what these are.

It's awash in bluebells on both sides of the trail.

Back in my own garden the bluebells planted last year are only just poking their heads above the soil. I do so hope they are going to bloom. It might distract the eye from the pitiful grass!

This photo of the cherry blossoms on my front lawn was taken at peak of their bloom on March 22. But with the hot weather we had last week they did not last very long and already most of the blooms are gone and the leaves are spouting out quickly.

Out back I continue to set out the welcome sign for the birds. The bird baths are being filled and new birdhouses have been installed. Last week a pair of chickadees were quite busy going in and out of this house.

More blue in the spring garden with the periwinkle but there is no missing the spots of yellow provided by the dandelions. The robins are just happy to have the birdbath available again.

1 comment:

  1. What a strikingly beautiful group of photos, Dorry! The composition in the two that include the trusty Rolo shows your particular artistic view.

    ReplyDelete

While I write this blog for my own fun, I would also love to know what you think about what I post.