Sunday, May 26, 2013

Two Weeks in the May Garden

Truly, I have good intentions of posting more regularly. A few comments from readers would turn those intentions into more frequent posts you know!

How does this deer look to you? I happened to glance out the window in the middle of the day on the 14th and there she was grazing in my flowerbed. Wish she had eaten the weeds! A few days later I was out back and blundered into a weedy area en route to get a load of compost from my bin when I was suddenly startled by this very loud and unusual noise. It sounded as though I had stood on a dogs squeaky toy except the noise was amplified considerably - at first I was too afraid to even look at what had made the noise but once I had moved another few feet I turned to see. Lo and behold it was a very young fawn trying to scramble to it's wobbly feet and bleating with a loud sound similar to a lamb. Then I remembered that I had heard a deer in the undergrowth on my previous visit to the compost area. So I am putting two and two together here - is the deer above the mother?

 The iris bloom season was short this year despite a cool spring.
These pale lilac aquilegia (columbines) were planted in an effort to replace some lovely yellow ones which used to be in this garden. These ones are not nearly as pretty.
Volunteer pansy and violas cluster near the hose bib next to the front porch. They are seedlings from plants I had in pots on the porch a year or two ago.
 A few of the yellow aquilegia pop up here and there.
 There was much excitement on May 21st when I looked outside and saw our first hummingbird of the season. No, I was not that quick with the camera - no hummer in this photo! But I have been patiently waiting, watching and hoping since I set the feeder out at the beginning of April.
Last year I bought a peony plant at a going out of business sale. It had been in the pot a while when I bought it and I was not sure if it would make it through the winter much less bloom. But yes indeed it did reward me. I have had fun taking photos of this plant each day to record how the blossoms have come out. At peak I think I counted 8 blooms out. Such a pity the daisies are also in full bloom at the same time as it takes attention away from the peony.
This weekend I have been busy digging the heavy clay and roots in the front garden bed - this was the one that had the large laurel bushes that were taken out back in March. I wanted to loosen the soil and amend it with several barrow loads of compost before I planted out a selection of perennials. First I had to pull out many black eyed susans that have seeded all over the place and now disrupt my desired pink, white and blue color scheme. After this photo was taken I have put in some pink coneflowers, pink salvia (in front of the clematis under the frame in the corner) and blue scabiosa (pincushion flowers). Still to come will be some annuals - maybe blue salvia and ageratum or maybe I will head back to the garden center tomorrow. And then, to the right I need to add some compost and then put in a row of white echinacea (coneflowers) behind the new small bushes (boxwood and nandina) between the hollies.

It's as well it is a long weekend.

2 comments:

  1. It's obvious what you mean about the yellow vs the white aquilegia - they hardly seem related at all! The iris may have been short-lived, but they are spectacular! How nice of you to provide a little nursery for the deer - that baby will grow up and feel your lovely garden is home and provides so many tasty treats! It does seem ironic that out here in the wilderness the deer don't bother our yards at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Dorry, the garden looks just lovely. Oh my, just as well I wasn't there when you "found" the baby deer. I would have scooped it up and carried it inside,I've always wanted to hand raise a baby deer. Lots of hard work going into the front garden where you've pulled out all those shrubs.

    ReplyDelete

While I write this blog for my own fun, I would also love to know what you think about what I post.