Thursday, February 13, 2014

That "S" Word Happens Again

Yes, we woke up to plenty of that S stuff this morning - 12" to be shoveled.

 The first man out shoveled off the driveway and in front of one garage door. Then he took pity on the backyard birds. He got a second bird feeder out, clamped it to the first one and filled them both with sunflower seed for the little birds. All day we long we have watched the birds flock to the backyard cafe - see the cardinal on the ground under the feeder? He can't get into the feeder but he can feast on the seeds dropped on the ground when the feeder sways around. There's a mound of snow piled on the bird bath to the right of the front big tree trunk - I'm guessing the birds found water okay despite the birdbath being covered in snow.
 Then this science experiment was started to see if the vodka would freeze!
 Vodka cocktails on the deck at 5pm anyone? Check the level of the snow around the chairs.
 But it wasn't all hard work.  These neighborhood children had fun with their snowboard.
No access to the party deck this way either!
Everything got a snowcap. I wish I had written the numbers bigger on my snow measurement stick.

But, I am thankful this was only snow. I really fear ice storms that have the potential to knock out power lines. This is not the time of year to be without power. No heating in the house could result in frozen pipes which then might burst and create a flood. 

And I am thankful we are not facing flood waters like so many in England right now in the area where the Thames has burst it's banks.

And nor are we facing the very high heat that friends in Australia are dealing with - that comes with the potential for bushfire.

So, all in all, maybe the S word is not so bad after all!

1 comment:

  1. You got a lot more snow than we did! Our driveway is only shoveled at the upper level, and I never saw much of the birds. It takes a while to bring them around here and with the weather being so warm (up to this storm that is), we can't feed the birds or we'd be feeding our bears.

    ReplyDelete

While I write this blog for my own fun, I would also love to know what you think about what I post.