Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Not more cherry blossoms



But beautiful flowers nevertheless.

On Tuesday I made a hurried trip to the Hillwood House Museum and Gardens. The weather was not very welcoming and we dodged raindrops as we made a hurried dash about the gardens trying to see the highlights.


The Japanese garden was very beautiful. Despite the lack of flowering plants there was an array of color in the foliage such that you did not realize that nothing was flowering. The air was full of the sound of the frogs in the ponds.


Although I know practically nothing about orchids the display of blooms in the hothouse was spectacular. Just look at that one with the lime green legs; that is just one bloom by the way.

The texture and shading here is just beautiful.


And here was a darker version.



Here again I was struck by the pattern on the petals but also, now I am looking at the photograph, see how the bright green of the fern sets off the color of the orchid blooms.


Do you wake up each morning and look out the window of your bedroom to a view like this? Again, note that there is nothing in bloom. I wonder if later on in the season there are flowering annuals in this garden.

Hopefully I will be able to visit this lovely estate another day.

1 comment:

  1. Spectacular orchid photos! I can see a pond like the one in your first photo in your backyard. The formal pond, gravel walk and shrubs of your last photo are serene. (But not as serene as treetops.)

    ReplyDelete

While I write this blog for my own fun, I would also love to know what you think about what I post.